SDF and the perfect tenses
The Perfect Tenses in an Anamnesis
Using the present perfect, past perfect and future perfect in a clinical consultation.
The three perfect tenses
Clinical purpose: perfect tenses help practitioners connect symptoms, earlier events and expected outcomes to a particular point in time.
Present Perfect
For a past experience with present relevance, or a situation that continues now.
- Question
“Have you experienced any chest pain?” - Negative
“I have not had any allergic reactions.” - Statement
“The patient has reported feeling dizzy.”
Past Perfect
For an action completed before another action or point in the past.
- Question
“Had you taken your medication before the symptoms worsened?” - Negative
“The doctor said she had not seen such a case before.” - Statement
“He had experienced similar symptoms before visiting the clinic.”
Future Perfect
For an action expected to be complete before a stated future time.
- Question
“Will you have completed the treatment by your follow-up appointment?” - Negative
“I will not have finished my treatment before the next appointment.” - Statement
“The patient will have recovered fully by the end of the month.”
Explications en français
- Le past perfect décrit une action qui s’est produite avant une autre action passée.Exemple : “The patient had reported symptoms before the examination.”
- Le present perfect évoque une action passée à un moment indéterminé, une expérience, ou une situation qui se poursuit ou produit encore des effets dans le présent.Exemple : “The doctor has examined the patient thoroughly.”
- Le future perfect exprime une action qui sera terminée avant un moment précis dans le futur.Exemple : “By next week, the patient will have completed all the necessary tests.”
Grammar videos
Video 1
Video 2
Patient consultation
OSTEOPATHHello. How may I help you today?
PATIENTHi. I’ve been experiencing persistent back pain for the past few weeks. It has been bothering me, especially during my daily activities.
OSTEOPATHI see. How long have you been feeling this discomfort?
PATIENTIt started about three weeks ago. I thought it would go away on its own, but it has only got worse.
OSTEOPATHDuring that time, have you noticed any specific activities that aggravate the pain?
PATIENTYes. Sitting for long periods has been particularly uncomfortable. I have also felt some stiffness in the mornings.
OSTEOPATHHave you had similar pain in the past, or is this the first time you have experienced it?
PATIENTI have had mild discomfort before, but it has never lasted this long. Since the pain started, I have been struggling to sleep well, and I have felt quite tired during the day.
OSTEOPATHHave you been doing anything to manage the pain over the past three weeks?
PATIENTYes. I have been stretching and using a heating pad. I have also taken some over-the-counter painkillers, but they haven’t been very effective.
OSTEOPATHHave you had any previous injuries that could be related to your current discomfort?
PATIENTNot that I can think of. However, I have been working from home for the past year, and I have been sitting for longer hours than usual.
OSTEOPATHSince you started working from home, have you changed your workstation setup?
PATIENTNot really. I have been using my dining table as a desk, and I don’t think my chair provides much support.
OSTEOPATHHave you noticed any pain radiating to other areas, such as your legs or shoulders?
PATIENTYes. I have felt some tension in my shoulders and neck, especially in the afternoons. I have also had occasional tingling in my lower back.
OSTEOPATHThank you. That is important to note. Before we begin, I will carry out a thorough examination. I’ll explain each step and ask for your consent before proceeding.
Comments