The SOCRATES Mnemonic for Pain Anamnesis

SOCRATES: Pain Anamnesis and Ankle-Sprain Consultation | Osteopathic English
Medical English · History Taking

The SOCRATES Mnemonic for Pain Anamnesis

How to explore pain systematically — with examples, an ankle-sprain consultation, and key phrases for osteopaths.

Warm consultation room with practitioner in white lab coat - illustration for SOCRATES pain history

What is SOCRATES?

Clinical focus: SOCRATES is a framework for pain anamnesis. Each letter prompts a different dimension of the patient's story and helps you use open-ended, layperson-friendly language.

S — Site

Where is the pain?

  1. Interrogative: "Can you show me where the pain is?"
  2. Negative: "My right shoulder doesn't hurt at all."
  3. Affirmative: "I have this feeling along my lower back."

O — Onset

When did it begin?

  1. Interrogative: "When did the throbbing begin?"
  2. Negative: "No, the pain did not start until yesterday."
  3. Affirmative: "I think I first felt it yesterday after dinner."

C — Character

What does it feel like?

  1. Interrogative: "How would you describe the pain: aching, sharp or throbbing?"
  2. Negative: "It isn’t a burning pain."
  3. Affirmative: "It feels like a sharp pain when I move."

R — Radiation

Does it travel?

  1. Interrogative: "Does the pain travel anywhere else?"
  2. Negative: "No, it stays around my ankle."
  3. Affirmative: "It spreads towards my foot."

A — Associations

Other symptoms?

  1. Interrogative: "Have you noticed any swelling or bruising?"
  2. Negative: "I haven’t noticed any numbness."
  3. Affirmative: "My ankle is swollen and bruised."

T — Timing

When does it occur?

  1. Interrogative: "Does it wake you up at night?"
  2. Negative: "No, it doesn’t wake me at night."
  3. Affirmative: "I have it mostly in the morning."

E — Exacerbating / Relieving

What makes it worse or better?

  1. Interrogative: "What makes the pain worse or better?"
  2. Negative: "Rest doesn’t make much difference."
  3. Affirmative: "OTC painkillers help a little bit."

S — Severity

How bad is it?

  1. Interrogative: "On a scale of zero to ten, how do you rate it?"
  2. Negative: "It's bad, but I wouldn't say 'excruciating'."
  3. Affirmative: "At its worst, I have a hard time focusing on anything."

Patient Consultation: An Ankle Sprain

Read the dialogue in pairs. Notice how the osteopath explores each part of SOCRATES, then asks about walking and previous injuries.

OSTEOPATHHello. What brings you in today?
PATIENTI twisted my right ankle playing football yesterday.
OSTEOPATHSite: Can you show me exactly where it hurts?
PATIENTHere, on the outside of my right ankle.
OSTEOPATHOnset: When did the pain start? How did you twist it?
PATIENTIt started as soon as I landed from a jump. My foot turned inwards.
OSTEOPATHCharacter: How would you describe the pain?
PATIENTIt feels sharp when I move it and aches when I rest.
OSTEOPATHRadiation: Does the pain travel into your foot or up your leg?
PATIENTNo. It stays around my ankle.
OSTEOPATHAssociated symptoms: Have you noticed swelling, bruising, numbness or tingling?
PATIENTIt swelled up during the match, and there’s some bruising today. I haven’t had any numbness or tingling.
OSTEOPATHTiming: Is the pain constant, or does it come and go?
PATIENTIt aches most of the time, but the sharp pain comes when I try to walk.
OSTEOPATHExacerbating and relieving factors: What makes it worse? What helps?
PATIENTPutting weight on it makes it worse. Resting helps a little.
OSTEOPATHSeverity: On a scale from zero to ten, how bad is it when you walk?
PATIENTAbout seven out of ten.
OSTEOPATHCould you take four steps immediately after the injury? Can you take four steps now?
PATIENTI could take a few steps yesterday, but I can’t manage four steps now.
OSTEOPATHHave you injured this ankle before? Have you taken anything for the pain?
PATIENTI sprained it two years ago. I took a painkiller last night.
OSTEOPATHThank you. Because walking is difficult, I’d like you to have a medical assessment to check whether imaging is needed. I’ll explain the next steps. Is that all right?
PATIENTYes, thank you.

Clinical note — Ottawa Ankle Rules: Inability to bear weight for 4 steps immediately after injury and at consultation is a red flag that may require imaging. This page is educational and does not replace individual clinical judgement.

Words & phrases to remember

Click the speaker to hear the term without leaving this page.

TermDefinitionPronunciation
AnamnesisThe medical history of a patient; the account of symptoms.
ˌæn.æmˈniː.sɪs
ThrobbingPain that beats rhythmically, like a pulse.
ˈθrɒb.ɪŋ
RadiationWhen pain spreads from one place to another.
ˌreɪ.diˈeɪ.ʃən
SwellingAn increase in size due to fluid or inflammation.
ˈswel.ɪŋ
BruisingDiscolouration after bleeding under the skin.
ˈbruː.zɪŋ
ExacerbatingMaking something worse.
ɪɡˈzæs.ə.beɪ.tɪŋ
SeverityHow bad or intense something is.
səˈver.ɪ.ti
ExcruciatingExtremely painful, very severe.
ɪkˈskruː.ʃi.eɪ.tɪŋ

Most Important Points to Remember

Ask open-ended questions

Encourage description in the patient's own words. Instead of "Does it hurt?" ask "Can you describe how it feels?"

Use layperson language

Avoid medical jargon. Tailor your language to the patient's level of understanding.

Prioritise active listening

Pay attention to what they say and how they say it. Tone and hesitations provide clues.

Document verbatim

Record key phrases exactly as said when possible.

Adapt to comfort

If a patient seems uneasy, provide reassurance and adjust your style.

Common Pitfalls

Rushing

Don’t move on without fully exploring the current question.

Ignoring non-verbal cues

Observe facial expressions, body language and gestures for insight.

Overloading

Avoid multiple questions at once. Let each SOCRATES letter guide one thread.

Assuming origins

Do not infer cause prematurely; this may lead to misdiagnosis or oversight.

Failing to clarify

Paraphrase and confirm: "If I understand correctly, you mean...?"

Tips for Learning SOCRATES

  • Role-play with a partner
  • Create flashcards
  • Mnemonic mapping on a body diagram
  • Use real or hypothetical cases
  • Repetition and reflection after each consultation

✅ Do This

Listen actively and empathetically. Use open-ended questions, encourage specifics about location, intensity, frequency, radiation. Use simple language, maintain eye contact, show non-verbal interest, and document accurately.

❌ Don't Do This

Don’t interrupt or rush. Don’t assume based on first impressions. Don’t use technical terms that intimidate. Don’t dismiss concerns or downplay pain. Don’t skip verification — probe if unclear.

Watch

Two short videos on pain assessment and history taking.

Video 1 · Pain assessment

Video 2 · History taking

Exercises & resources

To unsubscribe, send a message to the email you receive from the list.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Quiz D1 • 1/11 • Anatomy, the Musculoskeletal System & Basic Clinical Language

Quiz P3 • 1/10 • Basic Grammar & Typical French Mistakes

D1 • Fibromyalgia